Tips for quick relief
Try these effective tips in case of mild injury to get quick relief
- Hold ice on the injured area for at least 20 minutes at a time
- Rest the knee until it heals.
- Wear a compression bandage or wrap tight clothing to support the knee.
- Use a cane or crutches to take the weight off the knee.
- Elevate the injured leg on a pillow or several pillows, especially during sleeping hours.
- Take over-the-counter NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for pain relief. These include aspirin (Bufferin), naproxen (Naprosyn), and ibuprofen (Advil).
When to see a doctor
You may be able to manage a minor injury or mild pain at home. However, you shouldn’t ignore to consult your doctor in case of the following:
- You have had a history of blood clots
- The affected leg is red and inflamed
- You are in a lot of pain
- The leg is very swollen
- You are running a fever
- A leg that can’t hold your weight
- Sudden warmth in the leg
- Trouble breathing
Your doctor can detect the underlying cause of your knee pain through various blood and imaging tests and help you find relief.